Data Protection Resources
Currie and Balerno Curling Club
Privacy NoticeFor Existing and New Members
What this Privacy Notice Covers
Currie and Balerno Curling Club (C&B) is committed to protecting your personal information. This notice explains how we collect and use the personal information about you.
What We Need
C&B will be "controllers" of the personal information that you provide us.
When you register as a member of C&B or renew your membership (including if you are registering on behalf of a child under the age of 16), we may ask you the following personal information
- Contact details - name, address, telephone number(s), email address, mother club and date of birth
- Equality information - gender identity and disability information
Why We Need Your Personal Information - Contractual Purposes
We need to collect our members' personal information so that we can manage your membership; this allows you to curl at Murrayfield Curling Rink and to comply with licensing laws. We will use our members' personal information to
- Send you membership communications by post or email in relation to essential membership services including, but not limited to events occurring at the curling rink, general meeting notices, membership renewals, ice bookings, information on membership fees and fundraising information.
Why We Need Your Personal Information - Legitimate Purposes
We also process our members' personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to
- promote and encourage participation in the sport of Curling by sending communications and booking information for upcoming competitions and events to members. Our competitions and events may be filmed or photographed, and your name and mother club may also be used with images captured from our competitions and events; we may use these for promotional purposes
- Provide competition in the sport of Curling by accepting and managing entries for our competitions and checking your personal information to ensure that you are entered into the correct competitions.
- Respond to and communicate with members regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints and concerns
- Ensure that curlers who curl at Murrayfield are members of Edinburgh Curling Club Ltd (ECC)
Why We Need Your Personal Information - Legal Obligations
We are under legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our members for the purposes of complying with our obligations under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act, 2007 to check that our coaches and volunteers are able to undertake regulated work with children and vulnerable adults.
Other Uses of Your Personal Information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for additional purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice with information on how we will use your information for these additional purposes.
With Whom We Will Share Your Personal Information
- We may be required to share your personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations may include the Health and Safety Executive, Disclosure Scotland and Police Scotland for the purposes of safeguarding children
- We may share your personal information with our professional and legal advisers for the purpose of taking advice
- As an affiliated club of Scottish Curling, we are required to ensure that all of our members are members of Scottish Curling as a condition of affiliation. We will share your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth and any other information they may require in order to carry out their responsibilities as a Sports Governing Body in Scotland. Scottish Curling will become a "controller" of your personal information when they receive it. Scottish Curling's privacy notice explains how they use your personal information and it can be accessed at https://www.scottishcurling.org/privacy-policy/
- We may share your personal information with any other club with whom you are affiliated for the purpose of ensuring that we have accurate information
- We may share your personal information with ECC and Murrayfield Curling Ltd (MCC) and vice versa for the purposes of communicating with you about the facility, access to it and other operational matters
- We may share your personal information with Areas and Provinces of Scottish Curling and ice rinks in connection with the sport of Curling
How We Protect Your Personal Information
Your information is stored in a locked filing cabinet, electronically on a pc/ laptop, which is password protected.
How Long Will We Keep Your Personal Information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and possibly delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for three years, or are a non-member for two years.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to the club at 2 Harlaw Farm Cottages, Balerno, Edinburgh, EH14 7AS.
Your rights in relation to your personal information are
- You have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a "subject access request"
- If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information
- You have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes
- If you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Updated 25 May 2018